I was born and raised in the city of Poughkeepsie. I am running for the 2nd Ward seat on the City of Poughkeepsie Common Council because I believe we must focus our energy on being a part of providing solutions, not just complaining about the problems. I am running as a Common Council candidate for the 2nd Ward to change that narrative. I am solution-driven and I have the ability to manage conflict tactfully. I operate from a proactive not reactive stance. I understand that being flexible and adapting to the needs of the constituents in the 2nd Ward will take more than rhetoric spoken when campaigning. The City of Poughkeepsie residents and, if elected, those I will specifically serve in the 2nd Ward, deserve leaders on the Common Council who will concertedly focus on the overall betterment of the City of Poughkeepsie.
- 23 years of banking & financial service experience.
- Northern Dutchess NAACP member & former treasurer.
- Experience with working with individuals with special needs.
- Former tutor for Harambee.
- Sound business mind.
- Partnered with the city of Poughkeepsie council members and assisted a local church to revitalize an abandoned park in the 1st Ward of the City of Poughkeepsie
- Organized a voter registration drive held in October 2020.
- November 21, 2020, Kanell initiated a holiday food giveaway in front of New Hope Church in Poughkeepsie, NY. “ I didn't want the Covid -19 Pandemic to prevent families from having food on their tables for Thanksgiving”
- September- 2021, Facilitated a Community Prayer in the Earline Patrice Park at Mansion Square. Poughkeepsie, NY.